Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Today is our Independence Day. So, by default, last night is the 'countdown' night. Usually Malaysians will gather at Dataran Merdeka and wait till midnight for the 'ding-dong-bell' of the Sultan Abdul Samad's famous clock.

People, from cute little baby to that-so-called-baby, are busily celebrating the historical moment, with or without family (or maybe with family-member-to-be). Since most of my blog readers are Malaysians, I should not waste my time and my limited vocab to elaborate or picture the scene in mind. I bet, from the moment we can speak and see, we've watched the Independence celebration like thousands time. The fiesta is a part of our life. And that is the challenge. To question something that has been in our blood for years.

I wonder about the celebration. People stay till late night. The crowds are just crazy, with the shouting and all. The music is way too loud, but some people say it's cool. Don't they feel damn hot? How can a mother handle their child, or even children, in such hectic environment? Hats off from me if she's under control!

And don't let me starts with the teens. What's up with the dress and the holding-hand scene? Well, it's the moment like this people shows affection towards one another. How sweet isn't it to watch fire crackers together? Like that scene in the movie, where the prince charming and the princess lives happily ever after. Yeah, maybe I don't understand this lovey-dovey stuff. Pardon me. I've been in this foreign land for nearly 3 years, and my intelligence can hardly tell between the Malays and the Caucasians. Hmm, I think my brain has gone mad.

So, 'Dong, dong, dong' (make it twelve times). We shout 'Merdeka, Merdeka, Merdeka!'. Then, here comes the live entertainment and things like those. Yeah, it's boring to have no music and without the idols, aye? Late night, people left the scene. If the Dataran can shout, it will not shout 'merdeka!' but it will say 'clean me up!' ever wonder why? Because someone forgot to do the cleaning and the rubbish left the DBKL workers for no holidays.

It is during this season the press is talking about our nation and history. A lot of people do the talking but not many do the thinking. When I left Malaysia years ago, many people advised me to take care of myself, with all the 'don't forget your root' and all. So, here I am, wondering about my country. Maybe we just need to think about the 'root and all', once we stepped out of Malaysia?

Humor me if this is what we say globalization. Entertain me if that is what we call cool-stuff-kinda-thing.

Right me if I'm wrong. But what I see is what I believe.

But, don't get me wrong. I still love Malaysia to bits. And I have to admit there are lots of physical development throughout the country. 2 years away from my country, the fast growth is undeniable. But it's not the visible advance that caught my blurry eyes but this one question in my mind,

Act like Westerners, so why bother to be Malaysians?

-menang bersorak, kampung tergadai, ever wonder who's clapping his hand?-

No comments: